4.21.2005

Must See Movies

Okay, granted, I don't go out to the movies very often. For some reason, though, I've found myself in a theater twice this week. First, to see "Sin City," a fast-paced, bloody, and emotional film ported from a comic of the same name. There are some big names involved in this movie. The two that stand out above the rest are Bruce Willis, and Quentin Tarantino. Willis plays a huge part in the movie as a end-of-his-line police officer trying to track down a guy who's kidnapped and killed several little girls. Tarantino's part in the movie was only as guest director. Which parts he helped with, I'm not sure. Probably all of them, at least inspirationally, because the entire movie has his style plastered all over it. Knowing that, people will either be immediately turned off or on depending on their Tarantino stance. Personally, when I saw Tarantino's name in the opening credits, I sat up in my seat and readied myself for a quality film.

The most recent movie I saw was "Sahara." I only decided to see this one because I liked the little plot synopsis I read at the theater, and I kinda dig Matthew Mcconaughey's acting. I've seen him in some movies that weren't too popular (Glory Daze being the one that immediately comes to mind), and he does a good job. I must make it known, however, that I ALMOST didn't watch Sahara simply because Penelope Cruz has a major role in it. It seems almost preposterous to imagine her in any role other than Sofia in "Vanilla Sky." I suffered through all of her mis-pronunciations of large words (she plays a WHO doctor who has to say some big words. Her articulation is terrible at best) to see what this movie had to offer. Overall, it was an effective cohesion of history, comedy, action, and drama. Not the greatest movie ever, but certainly not the worst.

Also, I should probably note that BOTH of the above movies featured previews for "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". You better believe I'm going to see that when it comes out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only scene that QT directed was the car scene with Jackie-boy's talking head.

Just like for Hero, his name is only advertised so the movie would sell. Apparantly it works too. I hear people around school talking about how good the "new Tarantino movie" is.

Of course I don't mean to rip on the guy. He's probably my favorite director. But Hollywood takes advantage of his name.

Eric said...

You're right. They do.

Also, that reminds me. I forgot to mention how good Benicio Del Toro played his part in the movie.

Anonymous said...

AGH! DON'T PAY TO SEE HHG!!! They ruined it with the 'mandatory' love interest.... and when they tried to make Arthur Dent into a hero with a backbone.

"It so easily could have been _good_ and then... it got really stupid." - Loren

Eric said...

Oohh...Much too late there Sara. Sorry. Already seen it, and I liked it.

I don't care what anyone says, a movie based on a book is ALLOWED to stray from the original. You know why? They're two different mediums. A movie is much more direct than a book. With a book, you're able to fashion all these characters as facets of yourself. In a movie, though, you're force-fed the actor's interpretations.

I have a much more in-depth opinion on the matter, but I have much to do tonight, and little time to do it in. Perhaps I'll elaaborate when we eventually hang out.