11.13.2004

Post-Drunken Depression

I just arrived back from Zach's where, upon arrival, I was inundated with offerings of alcohol and musical outlet. The crave for making music was the first of the accruing pleasures to take hold. It began long before I arrived, and lasted until I got there. At first, it was good fun. People were around, so it kind of dragged along after a while (people talking in the background of a recording is not so pleasurable).

Then, there was the alcohol. First it was Elijah Craig, then two Budweisers, then several shots of the evil EVIL so-called "beverage," tequila. With my first drink containing half Vanilla Coke, half Elijah Craig, I was more-or-less thrust into drunken stupor without first attaining that beautiful state of mind often coined "buzzing." I was stumbling, I was singing, and, all the while, I continued drinking.

Budweiser is a foul, cruel, and watery beer. It lacks flavor, and has a tendency to bend you to it's will. Fortunate enough for me, I was able to partake in the tequila sampling before I could let the Budweiser grab me by the hand and lead me to the restroom.

Jose Cuervo: While he is typically a no-good fiend, I believe it was his presence that enabled me to uphold mannerisms that are becoming of a lad my age. While we were taking the shots, everyone left it all to three individuals. Craig, Zach, and myself. The group thinned out, and there we were. Pondering the boundaries of sentience, taking an unknown amount of shots, and cursing the lemon juice.

As the night progressed, I devloped a headache and had to lay down. Be it from the alcohol or sleep deprivation, I don't know. I do remember going to sleep around 7 a.m. with the sweet sounds of the history channel ushering me away to dreamland.


After Zach and I woke up around 3 p.m today, we sat around for a bit and went off to Waffle House for some late breakfast. I did a lot of thinking in-between talking and eating. Contemplative depths that I often reserve for late at night, when I'm certain to be alone for an extended period of time. I'm not sure what came over me, but I had this sinking feeling..."I need to get out." Not out of the situation I was in at the time; that was quite enjoyable. Rather, I have to get out of this situation I've transplanted myself into. It's unnecessary for me to go into depth here, as that's not the purpose of this post.

After we paid the kind lady at Waffle House, we headed off to some hippy shop...The name escapes me right now...something Bay...Botany Bay? I think that's it. Anyway, that place was quite interesting. Tie-dye as far as the eye could see, and quite a diverse selection of incense. So diverse, in fact, they even had "Pussy" scent. I was dumbfounded. Out of sheer curiosity, I grabbed a stick and took a whif. Needless to say, it wasn't the most pleasurable aroma I could imagine filling my room with, but, as they say, different strokes... Anyway, they were playing Led Zeppelin over the radio, and I recall one guy commenting "Man, Robert Plant always sounds like he's all: 'Listen how high I can get!' " Given the surroundings, I just couldn't help but notice the double meaning of the man's sentence. Mildly humorous.

We left the hippy shop for Wal-Mart. While there, we ended up in the candle section. I like to visit this area of stores when I go simply because I like to see what they have to offer. I make no secret of it that I burn candles almost every night, and I like to keep my mind open as to what I burn. My personal favorite, however, has always been "Rainforest." It has a crisp, sweet smell to it, and it doesn't smack you in the face if you're walking into the room for the first time after the candles have been lit. It's very welcoming. Anyway, I'm starting to think Wal Mart stopped carrying them. On more than one occasion (probably on the order of 4 or 5) I've gone into a Wal Mart specifically looking for these candles, and have been unable to find them. This is not a good thing, as Wal Mart was the only place I could find them. Sure, there may be other candles called "Rainforest" but they don't smell quite like the ones at Wal Mart. I believe the brand was Home-Stays or something like that...Whatever monopolized, store-brand candles they carry.

Moving along...

After we left Wal Mart, we headed back to Zach's. We recorded a few more songs, and I headed out. The drive back was cold and unnerving. I hate northern Kentucky. It's the devil's playground.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Rather, I have to get out of this situation I've transplanted myself into. It's unnecessary for me to go into depth here, as that's not the purpose of this post."


I'd like it to be the purpose of a conversation. Maybe not the best dinner topic, but I'm best known for my mood ruining.

And yes...the devil runs rampant in Northern Kentucky, usually finding his retreat in room 405.