11.08.2004

The Ultimate Irish Folk Collection

I initially started composing this collection for a friend of mine who has a mutual love for Irish folk music, then I began to realize that I was embarking on a quest that would lead me to the holy grail of Irish folk music collections. Allow me to preface my track listing with the following: While I know that a lot of these songs are "Traditional" irish tunes, I felt that the performances I feature are the best of the best. If you happen to know of a better performance for any song, please let me know.

Ladies and Germs, I now present to you the official track-listing of "The Ultimate Irish Folk Collection."


CD 1

Irish Rovers - If You're Irish Medley
Irish Rovers - The Moonshiner (Rambler, Gambler)
Clancy Brothers - Brennon on the Moor
The Crossing - The Hag and Humours
The Irish Ceili Band - Fiddler's Green
Irish Rovers - Pub with no beer
Dubliners - Tramps and Hawkers
Irish Rovers - Donald, Where's Your Trousers?
Clancy Brothers - The Wild Colonial Boy
Dubliners - Swallow's Tail Reel
The Blarney Lads - I'll Tell Me Ma
Irish Rovers - Drunk Scotsman
Dubliners - McAlpine's Fusiliers Behan
Irish Rovers - Rattlin' Bog
Irish Rovers - Drunken Sailor
Irish Rovers - Wild Rover
Irish Rovers - Whiskey on a Sunday
The Crossing - Endurance
Irish Rovers - Orange and the Green
Irish Rovers - Dublin Reel

CD 2

Irish Rovers - Come In
Clancy Brothers - Mountain Dew
The Blarney Lads - Muirsheen Durkin
Dubliners - High Reel
Irish Rovers - Blow the Man Down
Minstrels of Mayhem - Beer
Clancy Brothers - Old Maid in the Garrett
Minstrels of Mayhem - Queen of Argyle
The Irish Ceili Band - Scarce O'Tatties
Clancy Brothers - Jug of Punch
Clancy Brothers - All for me Grog
The Irish Ceili Band - Three Young Ladies Drinking Whiskey Before Breakfast
Dubliners - Home Boys Home
Waxies Dargle - Cod-Liver Oil/Coolies
Craftsmen - An Rince
Clancy Brothers - When We Were Under the King
Dubliners - Mrs. McGrath
The Crossing - Jiggle the Handle
Waxies Dargle - Docherty's Reel
Minstrels of Mayhem - Raggle Taggle Gypsy
Paddy's Irish Clan - Fuck the British Army
Minstrels of Mayhem - Rocky Road to Dublin

While some of those tunes may not be pure Irish (The Crossing, and Minstrels of Mayhem are from the states), they are worthy of being on this CD simply because I think they're kick-ass. So, don't ask questions. =)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Minstrels of Mayhem (ahem) do an incredible "Star of the County Down"
Its a traditional Irish song, arranged like I've never heard it before. Its really good, and a song I would undoubtedly include on any Irish compilation.

Eric said...

You're right. They do.

However, since I was trying to keep this list more traditional, the inclusion of MoM's version wouldn't have worked as well. I mean, electric guitars aren't exactly what I think of when I hear the phrase "Traditional Irish Folk." Ya know? ;)